Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Doctors Actually Listening to their Patients

What a novel idea, am I right? As a patient with a rare collagen disorder, I appreciated that Dr. Clifton K. Meador wrote a book about actually listening to his patients and understanding the mental problems aren't totally separated from the physical. I've spent a shocking amount of time in hospital waiting rooms and doctor's offices, and on more than one occasion been misdiagnosed. There's nothing more frustrating in the world than being told there's nothing wrong with you, or being prescribed the wrong medication for the wrong ailment. The only doctors I've never had problems with have been my physical therapists, they're all about preventative medicine and they're basically baller. So hats off to you guys. Dr. Meador's Symptoms of Unknown Origin is refreshing; it's not full of too much medical mumbo jumbo - so even if you're not a doctor it's relatively easy to follow along. This book is a very different take on the medical world, focusing on the patient's symptoms instead of starting with preconceived biases. I can't really say that I enjoyed reading this book, but again, I'm not a doctor. But the fact that it exists gives me hope that the medical field is moving in a direction that is more respectful and understanding of how patients and doctors can work together to be able to find cures to diseases and disorders that they previously couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment